Monday, February 28, 2011

Daffodil For Relay for Life

The Daffodil is the Symbol of the Cancer Society. This is the tenth year of Relay for Life .
I am a cancer survivor and a supporter . Since I do not actively praticipate in the run I have done this Pastel painting for our team at Kennebecasis Extra Mural to help raise funds.
This Painting is 11x14 framed 16x20.
It was done on black stonehedge arcival paper.
I started with Mungvo semi hard pastels then used Unison,Snellier and Schmike pastels.
No Fixative was applied to let the brillant colors of the pigment to catch the light. Anyone interested please let me know . You canalso e-mail me at

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Blue Mask Step 3

In Step three I have added more blue to the mask and now added a darker wash over the wall to help move the mask foreward.
I now have to mix up some greys for the feather Plume and smooth out the table top.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Happy Valentines Day!!!!

This is a collage I did a few years ago. It is called The Three Hearts.
It tells the story of a heart broken by jealousy,which is represented by the spider craweling away from the new mended heart.
The yellow heart which has flowers and dragonflies represents new love.
Sending love and warm wishes to all my friends and followers on my blog!!!!!

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Blue Mask Step 2

In step 2 I have started filling in the background and the table top.
I am really finding it hard to cover and layer withoutmy brush marks showing.
Please keep watching to see how it progresses.
I am hopeing that I will be able to apply fixative to the canvas so that it does not need framed under glass.

Blue Mask Step 1

I started another Mask painting for my Mask Series.
This one I am calling Blue Mask.
It is another feminine mask from a photo I took in Venice.
This mask has a large white feather in it.
I first transfered my drawing onto Watercolor canvas which I am trying for the first time. I find the paint does not absorb as well as the 300 lb. cold press paper I usually use for watercolor.
I have masked out the feather tips and started the mask with cerulean and tourquise.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Rose Finished

I have now put a wash of Perylene green over the back ground to darken it futher and to bring the rose forward.
The leaves have been finished with a few washes of hookers green and perylene green.
The veins in the leaves have been made using Inktense yellow pencil.
The petals have been scrubbed out more where the highlights were needed and I have darkened the shadows.
Hope you like it!!! I am now working on a Blue Mask on watercolor canvas and will post it in a few days.

Step 6 The Rose

In Step 6 there is futher defining of the petals. Beside another wash I have also started scrubbing out the highlights.
I have also introduced one more color for the leavesPerylene green which is a lovely dark green color.

The Rose Step 5

To increase the pink in the rose I have now used a wash of Opera pink over some of the petals.
I have also worked some more on the leaves and started on a rose bud.

Step 4 The Rose

In Step 4 I have now done a wash on all the petals.
I mixed a purple for the shadows from the ultra marine blue and the alizeran.

The Rose Step 3

In this step I put a futher wash of alizeran on some of the petals and a futher wash of Cad. yellow

The Rose Step 2

In Step 2. I have put in a light wash of permenant alizerin .
I have started to distinguish the individual petals.
I had a was of lemon yellow under the leaves and used hookers green over it.

The Rose Step 1

Step 1 of The Rose.
The Rose has been sketched onto watercolor board with an hb pencil done lightly.
Next I worked on the background to darken it with ultra marine blueand burnt umber.
The yellows I have used in the under painting are lemon and Cad Yellow.